Thursday, October 23, 2008

How to find people in Lesotho

So today I set out to find a man who I had heard a lot about. He was a Boy Scout leader in the 1960s and was a very well known man as I had heard from multiple people that I should talk to him when I told them the project I was working on. Unfortunately, and this happens a lot, they didn't know exactly how to get in touch with him. Two people told me to check at the Catholic printing works (where they print the weekly newspaper and books), so when I was up there the other week I did. Again, they couldn't really tell me how to get in touch with him, but they drew me a map of the area where he lived and, like an earlier source, just told me to ask for him at the local high school. So armed with a vague knowledge of where said high school was I set out this morning from Maseru. It ended up being about 35 miles outside town and the road to it was paved (that in itself is impressive). I parked on the school grounds and just wandered towards the school with someone pointing me to the staff room. I walked in and introduced myself and told them who I was looking for. The first teacher I met whipped out her cell phone and gave me him number. Then the principal, a nun, walked in and told me she would find someone to take me up to his place. So five minutes after I arrived I was walking through the fields and then a village to get to this man's house. I show up, introduce myself and he says he would be delighted to talk to me, but he has a meeting to attend today and I should return next week.

Great. Interview set up, only took a bit of guesswork and three people to help me find the place. Then as I am leaving, he asks for my full Sesotho name. I tell him: "Thabiso Masupha" and then he says, "Of course, they have told me a Masupha would be coming to look for me and to speak with me!" The moral of the story: no matter how hard it is to find someone, the 'village telegraph' will beat you to the place where he or she is. He didn't know who I was or what I wanted from him, but someone (probably from the Cathlolic printing works) mentioned that I was looking for him and word got back. Good stuff in a small country! The interview, by the way, should be fantastic. He is a very nimble and spry 75 or 80 year old. I will keep you posted.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hehe, isn't it neat how that stuff works? Hope you're well!

Is your address posted on here? I've forgotten, I need to look - anything you want/need from the US that you can't get there? Anything Alaskan you want?

Unknown said...

Ok, yes, I need your mailing address there, if nothing more than to just send some real mail!

tanya said...

How awesome! You have the greatest dissertation research stories.