Sunday, September 14, 2008

More successes

So a nice weekend is drawing to a close. Just wanted to let you all know some of the successes I have had over the last few days. The letter from the university finally came through on Wednesday of last week so I was able to pick that up and take it to Immigration to get my work permit for the year. I am legal to be here until June, which is nice. I also have an office at the university, so if you for some reason you happen to be at the National University of Lesotho, feel free to stop by Room 103 in the Institute of Southern African Studies and see if I am around. Chances are I am not because most of my time will be spent in the various archives and out in the country trying to find people to interview, but it can't hurt, right?
Otherwise, I have been doing some interesting research in the National Archives here. They don't have a lot on my time period, but some of the precursor nationalist movements in the 1930s and 40s that raised awareness among Basotho and lodged grievances against the colonial administration and chiefs here generated some interesting correspondence from the government and the chiefs. So I am spending some time going through those files and will go through the files of the National Council (the unelected precursor to Parliament here) for the 1950s and 60s to see what sort of issues they were discussing. All in all, interesting stuff for historians, but probably not too much for everyone else!
I have also been invited to the weekly History Department seminars at the University and went to my first one on Friday. Various members of the department present their work and the discussion is neat because for the first time in graduate school, I am completely surrounded by people studying African history. A real treat!
I am, of course, still running quite regularly. I put in about 50 miles this last week, which is pretty good as I am busy and Maseru is at an elevation of about a mile. I think I have adjusted well, however. Anyway, have a good week and I will post again when something interesting happens or the spirit so moves.

1 comment:

Lea said...

Hi John!
Well, happy birthday, my friend. I just subscribed to your blog and am excited to hear about your time in Lesotho. This morning I found an old letter that you wrote me back in 2005 when you started your master's program - you were looking ahead to where you are right now - spending time researching in Lesotho! This past year we had a student from Lesotho - he's back home now. I should give you his contact information. I also have an email of a former PCV who spent time there.

Glad to hear you're still running (I never doubted that you would stop). I, on the other hand, am struggling with the get back into shape in your late 20s phenomenon. I bought some running shoes from Ronkers a few weeks ago - they have been the impetus for my recent runs. I figured if I'm going to drop a bunch of $ on shoes, gotta do it.

I'm sure you heard about Mary Danner (wineberg) in the olympics! Wow! We knew her when...

Life is good here - the past year was a whirlwind. Bryan and I were both in school and working. I was working as the interim director of the Office of International Student Services and trying to finish my Master's Degree as quickly as possible so that I could potentially work in the position permanently. Well, I was officially promoted in June and completed my thesis in July. Then, we went on an awesome vacation to Idaho, Washington, and Glacier N.P. Truly beautiful and a great way to get away and put a hectic and stressful year behind us. Now is the first time since we've been married that we're both not working and going to school FT. Bry is focusing on finishing grad school, and I'm not taking any classes :) It feels great! September at work is hectic, but I'm really enjoying time with the students. I'm officially taking a break from class for at least a semester, though, since I"m working at the university, I've already started considering taking Arabic or finishing a Master's in Theology. (I completed my master's in Education this year).

Well, I didn't mean to write a letter on my comment on your post, but it's easy to do. Enjoy your day, and your time in Lesotho. I see your parents every so often and hope to run into them again soon.

Sending lots of love and well-wishes your way from good old Cincy!

Peace always,
Lea