Monday, September 29, 2008

Well I thought I would try to post a short video clip on here. This comes from the graduation party I attended on Saturday. A woman I taught with at St. Rodrigue, 'Me Maboleba Kolobe (formerly 'Malerato Lehloka) just finished her master's degree at the National University in English. I had a good time at the party, which took up most of Saturday afternoon. The song you will see here was towards the end after there had been about 15-20 speeches by people from various aspects of her life, family, high school, college, graduate school, church groups, etc (including one by me on behalf of all the St. Rodrigue teachers since I was the only St. Rodrigue teacher who made it). I gave the first about 25% of the speech in Sesotho and then had to switch to English because I didn't get much of a 'heads up' that I would be speaking. So it goes. The party was a good time. All the people from the English Department who were graduating with post-bachelor's degrees were there so it was a full table. in the video, 'Me Kolbe is in her robe and comes dancing out from behind the table with her 2nd daughter (she has three) in tow (Kamohela is her name for those who know the family). The song is a congratulatory song that basically says 'this is your day and we are proud of you'. Enjoy! Another sunny day is coming to an end here. Hope you all are well.

4 comments:

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal

Matt Michelin said...

John,

I just got the official invite to return to Uganda next summer for another six weeks. Financial concerns, academic advancement, and even a curriculum consulting offer (actually making money) have all muddled my decision. Watching to the video and listening to the sounds of celebration in Lesotho reminded me so much of Uganda--the singing and celebrations must be almost identical--that my decision is made. Uganda, here I come--Summer 2009!!!

Best of luck as it sounds like your research is really beginning to develop!

Matt Michelin

Unknown said...

Hey Ntate John!
Thanks so much for the post. Please pass my congratulations to M'e Maboleba and Ntate Leseli and M'e Violet (if you see her, too)!

Ali

Unknown said...

Wow, how beautiful and fun!