Tuesday, August 5, 2008

First Hello

Welcome to my blog. I am writing this from 99-degree Saint Louis, MO deep into my preparations to get ready for my Lesotho trip. I just purchased my tickets today and will be leaving on August 19th. I will be spending about 10 months in Lesotho doing my doctoral research on African History. I will, of course, be posting much more about that in the months to come. For now, it should suffice to say that I am looking at the 1950s and 60s investigating the transition from colonialism to independence. I hope that many of you will comment here or email me to keep in touch. I should have a cell phone as well once I get there if you want phone communication. More to come soon...at least once I get to Lesotho.

For those who don't know, Lesotho is an independent country completely surrounded by South Africa.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm subscribed (via the feed). Get some Ted Drewes before you go, but then have a great time. I'm looking forward to the updates.

Anonymous said...

Hujambo John!

I'm so happy for you. Good luck on your research and have a great time.

Kwaheri na Tutaonana baadaye

Matt Michelin said...

John,

Fantastic! Uganda treated me well. I was just begining to really feel like I was part of te culture after my six weeks. Ten months sounds like an awesome opportunity. I will be subscribing and am looking forward to read about all of your adventures and discoveries! Will you have a spare room??? I am already feeling the itch to return!

Wot Maber! (Go Well in Luo)
-Matt

Unknown said...

Yeah, can't wait!

tanya said...

Hi John! I saw this link via facebook - you have blog, I'll be reading. :) I'd love to hear how the research and time in Lesotho goes (actually, just saw the Lesotho contingent parade through the Olympics and thought of you).

Good luck!