Saturday, August 30, 2008

Why I am here

There have been some requests to detail what it is that I am doing here, so I will do my best. Right now, I am trying to take care of all the details when you move somewhere new overseas. I am still trying to secure a work permit and visa and a place to live. The photos above were taken from the house where I am staying. It is in a quiet neighborhood of Maseru called Katlehong. The sunsets, as you can see, are amazing.
As for my work here, I am doing my research for my PhD. I earned my master's degree in May finishing my coursework and taking my comprehensive exams. So now the 'only' thing left to do is to do my research and write a dissertation. I am spending my year here to get the research done. My project is looking at Lesotho in the 1950s and 60s as it transitioned from colonial rule to independence. I want to know how young people who were not necessarily involved in political parties viewed this process and what they wanted to see from their new country. I will be looking at how their views differed from their parents and where they did and did not manage to make their views heard.
What this all means on a day-to-day basis is hard to say. I will spend time in the archives around the country looking for documents and photographs. Much of my time, however, will be spent interviewing people who were involved in youth groups (church groups, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Young Farmer's Associations, etc) at that time. I already have a decent list of contacts that I will start getting in touch with when I get all my details nailed down.
I hope that helps give a better idea about what I will be doing here until June. Take care!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice pictures and good for us who keep forgetting what you're up to. :D Hope things keep trucking along!