Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Life in the city

For the first time in my travels to Lesotho I find myself living in the capital city, Maseru. I am house sitting for a woman who is the country director of an NGO here while she is gone for two weeks. It is a quite nice place in a quiet part of town very close to where one of my good friends from my teaching days lives. It is close enough to walk to the government offices and stores that I need to get to, but there is a mountain in between so we don't have the noise and the hustle and bustle.
My life right now consists of trying to take care of a thousand and one details. I am trying to get a letter from the US Embassy to secure my visa. I am looking for a permanent place to live. I am trying to find a cheap car so that when I am going to archives and meeting people to interview I don't have to rely on the public transport which is slow and unpredictable. I am also trying to make my introductions at the various archives around the country and secure affiliation at the university. All-in-all, my days are full, although not really of research yet. That will come once some of these details are taken care of.
The house where I am staying sits on the side of a hill looking out over some of the Maseru suburbs and the gigantic stand where Pope John Paul II said his public mass when he visited Lesotho in 1988. The huge field surrounding it is still (as of right now) free of development and a wonderfully flat place to run, although like any place in Lesotho, I get more than my share of stares when I do so.
While I am house sitting I have internet access in the house so if you are looking to get in touch with me, the next few weeks would be a good time. I am hoping to have internet in the place where I eventually end up, but I need to find that first! Anyway, the peach trees are blooming a vibrant pink here so spring is on its way. Hope you are well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey you can save time and just ask me how I started my namesake county of Le'Seth-o

Well, it all started when............just playing - I never heard of it.

Hey - I thought you were getting married??? 56 miles!!!! I always wanted to do an ultra. You can definitely do it. Obviously, you just need to do more miles and long runs. You probably don't need to do a training run longer than 25-30 miles and just go "balls out" on race day!

Comrade's is definitely one of the most respected running races on the planet. You should look up Tim Noakes in SA - Cape Town I think. He is to SA what Jack Daniels (PhD) is to USA.

Well gotta roll!

Keep in touch!

Seth