Sunday, November 16, 2008

Degrees of separation

Happy weekend to you (even if it is mostly over). I was reminded last week how small and interconnected this country is when I went out for an interview. I had been given the name of a man from one of the other guys I had interviewed who he said would be interesting to contact. So on Thursday I set out for the place where he had told me to go (he said, just go to St. David's mission near the town of Mamathe's and ask for him). Sure enough, I rolled up and knocked on a door and found a secondary teacher who knew exactly where he lived. We walked together down to his house and he sat with me as I interviewed a very nice and informative gentleman who had been active in the Boy Scouts and had taught at various schools in Lesotho for 58 years (58!). At the end of the interview, I mentioned that I had a former teaching colleague who had lived just near here as well and asked if he had known her (she has passed away, this is 'Me Libe for those reading this who know her) and, of course, not only did this man know her, but he had taught with her and her husband at various times in his career. So here I was sitting in a man's house who I had met less than an hour earlier who was 55 years older than me and we had taught with some of the same people. It was a neat situation, a great way to end the interview talking about former friends and a good reminder about how small a country of 1.8 million people (according to the census) really can be.

Lest you think I spend all my time running around the countryside, on Friday I was asked to take part in a round-table discussion at the university on the US presidential elections, the crisis in Zimbabwe and the crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo. As the collection of topics seemed rather scattered I was a bit nervous about sitting on a panel like that, but it turned out very well (thanks to the skill of the moderator) and was quite interesting with a free-wheeling discussion about African politics, the role of western foreign policy and what should be done to move forward in these situations (not the US, but the others). The university has an interesting staff that gets many professors from around the southern African sub-continent so there was a lively discussion with professors and students (mostly local Basotho) that left me feeling more hopeful that someday there might be enough pressure from 'civil society' to force the hands of regional governments to bring about some constructive change in truly bad situations. Stay well!

1 comment:

Penny stocks said...

I have a web site where I give advise on penny stocks and stocks under five dollars. I have many years of experience with these type of stocks. If theirs anyone interested in these type of stocks you can check out my web site by just clicking Penny stocks. I would like to comment about the future of the stock market theirs always bargains in the stock market you just have to be willing to take the time to find them. Speaking of stocks under one dollar that worked out for me. I recently sold my shares in vonage holdings corporation for 5 dollars. I bought the shares in 2009 for 37 cents. This was a rare exception to the general rule most of the stocks trading under 1 dollar are not good investments. The way that you find low priced stocks that are worthy investments is to have as much knowledge and experience as possible about these type of securities. Only than can you profit tremendously from these stocks.