Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A different kind of politics

Well, happy American election day to all of you. I cast my absentee ballot a couple of weeks ago and hope it arrived in time. Life continues to go well here despite a touch of sickness today for me. I still plan to get up early (3 or 4 AM) to watch some election returns with some American friends. Should be a good time.
The cricket match was a good time: imagine a baseball game that goes a lot longer and has nice grassy banks on which to sit and relax and watch the game. South Africa beat Kenya by a lot and a good time was had by all.
I had an interesting interview the other day with a man who was in the words of my friend who pointed me towards him: "a right proper gentlemen of a type they don't make anymore" and sure enough it was true. He was a very thoughtful, soft-spoken man of about 70 who had spent much of his life as a close adviser to the King of Lesotho during some of the more turbulent days politically here in Lesotho. So, yes, this man was a committed royalist (my friends who study British history and read this blog just did back-handsprings to find that people of this political persuasion still exist). He said he has had many opportunities in his time since then to join some of the political parties here (of which there are around 19 registered, depending on the day and who is splitting off from another party), but that this was not for him. Needless to say, he had a very interesting take on events in Lesotho in the 1950s and 60s (and even into the 70s but I didn't press him on that although if I had had more time perhaps I would have). So yea, research is still going well here and I am finding that I really enjoy finding people and sitting down to a chat with them about the past.
Viva le roi!

No comments: