Sunday, November 23, 2008

Working at Parliament/Running

So this last week was an intense one spent mainly in the Parliamentary Library. The National Archives sent me over there the other week when they didn't have the records I was looking for. It didn't seem like they get a lot of outside researchers there; in fact, it seemed like it was mainly used by Members of Parliament to do research on previous sessions and to stay current on the Lesotho and South African newspapers. But they were happy to have me sit in there and dig through stacks of Government-published newspapers from 1965 and 66 (the year of independence here). I have probably one day left there of work, but it was an interesting place to sit and work as it is right across a big driveway from the House of Parliament so I got to watch all the comings and goings of top government ministers and MPs while doing my work!

In other news, I traveled yesterday (leaving at 5AM) up to Ficksburg, a small town in South African about 80km (50 miles) from Maseru for their annual Cherry Festival Race. The town is in the middle of the cherry, asparagus and peach growing region of South Africa and the race was brutal! It was 23km (14.5 miles...or almost a mile and a half longer than a half marathon). It started out in town, but about 2.5 miles into the race, turned off onto a dirt/rock/gravel/mud trail that wound its way up and over the mountain that sits right behind town. Someone with a GPS watch told me we climbed over 250 meters in the course of the 5km (3 mile) climb. Then we ran on top of the mountain (more of a plateau really) in a series of ups and downs before dropping the entire 250 meters in about 3km (2 miles), in a part of the race that was especially hard on the legs. Then it was just 6km more (@ 4 miles) back into town. Ficksburg sits at an elevation of about a mile to begin with so this was quite the race. I managed to place 8th overall out of about 700 with an average right around 6 minutes a mile, which seemed pretty good considering. I am a bit sore today, but hopefully that will work itself out pretty soon! It was a good time and I even got to hang out at the Cherry Festival afterwards (think American midwestern county fair-type atmosphere with all things cherry for sale). Good times!

2 comments:

david santos said...

Excellent work!!!
Have a nice Day!!

Penny stocks said...

I have a web site where I give advise on penny stocks and stocks under five dollars. I have many years of experience with these type of stocks. If theirs anyone interested in these type of stocks you can check out my web site by just clicking Penny stocks. I would like to comment about the future of the stock market theirs always bargains in the stock market you just have to be willing to take the time to find them. Speaking of stocks under one dollar that worked out for me. I recently sold my shares in vonage holdings corporation for 5 dollars. I bought the shares in 2009 for 37 cents. This was a rare exception to the general rule most of the stocks trading under 1 dollar are not good investments. The way that you find low priced stocks that are worthy investments is to have as much knowledge and experience as possible about these type of securities. Only than can you profit tremendously from these stocks.