Thursday, November 6, 2008

Quick update--elephant pushing

Hey, this will be very short. Learning new languages and about different cultures often lets me appreciate more the nuances of language. The Royalist party that I was discussing in my last blog is/was known as the Marematlou Freedom Party where Marematlou is a Sesotho idiom for the 'people who get together to push the elephant.' At the time it was formed, there was a Regent for the young King and the people who started it were concerned that the Regent would never make way for the young king, so they got together to try to 'push the elephant.' To ruin the suspense, they succeeded and the new king took over! Still, I think it is one of the best names for a political party that I have ever heard.
Also, people here in Lesotho (Basotho and expats from all over) are very excited about our new president. I have had many people come up to me or text me telling me how excited they were. Let's hope some of the expectations can be met.

No comments: